7/29/2013

My way of English learning

I would like to share my way of English learning. Let's begin from the very beginning. English was my favorite subject at school. Frankly speaking, I studied at school with advanced study of English, then was University and I was in advanced class of English and then I have a  work practice in the Department of International Relations in City Hall. I applied my English skills daily and at that time English was as my second language. I made mistakes but I could talk!  Next years I worked in other area didn't connected with English. I lost my English skills!
Two years ago I should pass IELTS examination. It was really hard to remember everything! English online at that time was not available to me. I tried to listen  Canadian news - I couldn't understood  anything! Of course I have practice material for IELTS but I needed more English. And I found light in the end of the tunnel – it was movies, especially sitcoms. Firstly, it was sitcom “Friends” with English subtitles – very simple words, good pronunciations, funny  story. I remembered not just words but phrases and more valuable I have association. Everybody will agree with me that it is impossible to remember just word or expression – you should connect it with something. Then it will be work! Then it was a lot of films, most I had seen in Russian but when I watched it in original language I understood that I never seen this films before, because before it was false! I watched few times simple story of “Forest Gump”. I like expression from there – “We were like peas and carrots”. “Groundhog day” with Bill Murray and many, many others. Now I have access to English online it is really helps me develop my language skills! I have in my scheduler evening Mondays for wiki (summer course)  and Tuesdays for  virtual class. It is like a habit!  Plus I have a habit   to read and listen  regularly  local news (some useful links)
But unfortunately language of news is still too complicated for me.  Actually, favorite leisure for me it  is good movie or series, my favorite now is “The middle”, “Once upon a time”.  I don’t watch at all Russian television  and I try read just Internet site on English regard different areas.  For instance, I search new recipe in English. Oh and one more my favorite internet resource it is reddit.com. I like it read before go to sleep. 
I believe that I mentioned all my useful methods
I hope next week I will write about movies I have seen already and my thoughts about.

Taking everything into consideration, I think that the best way to improve English is
READ MORE!
WRITE MORE!
LISTEN MORE!

And if you have opportunities SPEAK MORE! It does not matter what exactly you will read or listen the main thing in should be on English

2 comments:

  1. Hello Daria! A good way to improve English skills by watching movies! And the cartoons might be very helpful, too. I just wanted to advise to you, since you are going to come to Morden City, you can read the Pembina Valley News, where you can find the information about local news, especially about Morden, weather, careers, community events, sales and purchases, and a lot of other interesting things. You just can click this link http://www.pembinavalleyonline.com/ - and you are there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Olga! I am glad that you visited my blog. I am totally agree with you about cartoons - simple language and good pronunciation of words. Of course I don't mean Donald Duck.))))) From time to time I watch cartoons with my son. Thank for sharing with me useful link about local news.

    ReplyDelete